If you are married to a person settled in the UK, you may be able to make an application to join your spouse or partner. Settled person means, someone who holds indefinite leave to remain in the UK, to enter or remain in the UK with your partner. We can also asist you with extension of your visa.

Eligibility for a Spouse Visa

  • You must be in a genuine and subsisting marriage with the person in the UK
  • You must intend to reside with your spouse permanently;
  • You must have suitable accommodation for yourself, your spouse and any dependents; You must meet the financial requirements (i.e. have enough money to support yourself, your spouse and any dependents without recourse to public funds); and
  • You must satisfy the English language requirements. You may need to prove your knowledge of the English language when you apply. You can prove your knowledge of English by passing a test at an approved test centre. You need to get at least CEFR level A1. Check the current list of approved tests and test centres. This list changed on 6 April 2015 – tests on previous lists won’t be accepted.
    Alternatively, you can give evidence that you have an academic qualification that both: (A) was taught or researched in English; (B) is recognised by UK NARIC as equivalent to a bachelor’s or master’s degree or PhD;

Those applying who are National of a majority English speaking country, will not need to prove your knowledge of English from one of these countries:

  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • the Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Canada
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Jamaica
  • New Zealand
  • St Kitts and Nevis
  • St Lucia
  • St Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • US

You won’t need to prove your knowledge of English if:

  • You are age 65 or over
  • You are unable to because of a long-term physical or mental condition
  • You can show there are exceptional circumstances which prevent you from meeting the requirement
error: Content is protected !!
Arden Solicitors Advocates