The Tier 2 visa allows you to be employed by a sponsor in the UK. You can apply for a Tier 2 (General) visa if have obtained a job offer and a Tier 2 Certificate of Sponsorship from a UK employer with a valid Tier 2 sponsorship licence.
The work you do in the UK must relate to the work of your sponsor organisation.
A Tier 2 (General) visa is a points-based category. Points are awarded for the following:

  • Qualifications
  • Future expected earnings
  • Sponsorship
  • English language skills
  • Available maintenance (funds)

You will usually need to be paid at least £30,000 per year or the ‘appropriate rate’ for the job you have been offered – whichever is higher. You will have to check the appropriate rate for the job you have been offered.
Tier 2 Visa categories
The Tier 2 position must usually be advertised to workers from within the European Economic Area (EEA) before they can be offered to non-EEA immigrants, unless the job is on the Tier 2 Shortage Occupations List. This is known as the Resident Labour Market Test.
There are 4 categories as to Tier 2 visas
Tier 2 (general) visa must meet the above requirements.
Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) visa For employees of multinational company who are being transferred to the business’s UK branch. There are four sub-categories:

  • Long term staff
  • Short term staff
  • Graduate trainee
  • Skills transfer

  • Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa For workers who’ve been offered a job, such as missionary or minister of religion, within a religious community organisation in the UK.
  • Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa For elite sportspeople and coaches. The applicant must be recognised or endorsed by their sport’s governing body.

Applicants will have to show proof that they can meet the maintenance funds requirements for their visa, unless their Tier 2 sponsor can guarantee their maintenance with the UK Home Office. Only ‘A rated’ sponsors have this option.

There is an English Language requirements, such as qualification equivalent to a bachelors degree or higher taught in English or English language test results.
Applicants will have to submit a clear tuberculosis (TB) test result letter, if the applicant is from one of the countries on the Home Office’s TB testing list
A Tier 2 (General) visa may be granted for a maximum of 5 years and 14 days, or the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 1 month, whichever is shorter.
Your stay must start no more than 14 days before the start date on your certificate of sponsorship. You can apply to extend this visa for up to another 5 years, as long as your total stay is not more than 6 years.

error: Content is protected !!
Arden Solicitors Advocates